Friday, April 9, 2010

A note to Rich Lowry

Rich,

It doesn’t matter what Romney does or says. From the day he managed to get that Romneycare abomination passed, I swore I’d never vote for him for anything at all. If he ever for a moment thought that any consequences would follow other than the disastrous ones that have in fact ensued, then he is too stupid to be entrusted with so much as the maintenance of my neighbor’s backyard pool. If he knew what was going to happen and cynically did it anyway because he saw some sort of personal political advantage to him, then he can go someplace where he’ll never need ice skates.

But either way, there’s absolutely nothing that can possibly excuse Romneycare, or induce me to put a checkmark next to that fool’s name in any election under the sun. I held my nose and voted for McCain, but I’d’ve sat it out rather than voting for Romney. The passage of – indeed, the very proposal of – Romneycare should have meant the instant and permanent end of Romney’s career as an electable official under the Republican Party flag. The fact that it did not, goes a long way to explain why I’ve never bothered to register as a Republican and why I see the GOP as the weakest of weak reeds in the defense of the American common good.

Yours sincerely,

Ken Pierce

No comments: